27.10.11

Encounter with an uncommon surprise

26 Oct, 2011

Two middle-aged women were being chased by at least five men including a person wearing uniform of a security guard. After few seconds I saw one of them grabbed one woman by neck. She scuffled with him and some how escaped but her dupatta fell on the road. She left it behind and ran away, two of the men continued chasing her. The other woman, carrying a small infant in her lap, could not run now. She stopped and started walking in the mean time one of these men got hold of her and gave her one tight slap on the face as if he was performing an assigned duty. After that the guy let her go. He stopped right there waiting for others who had gone following the other woman.

This was not the scene of a small village in the outskirts of the country but at a main market in the national capital- Kalandi Kunj-Sarita Vihar Road, where almost all the multination brands’ stuffs are sold. The road is a national highway and very close to my house so whenever I am free, I enjoy coming here for at least a window shopping. Today being a national holiday on Diwali, I had come here along with my two nieces just for a hang out.

Most of the men chasing the women were known to me. They were the shopkeepers and shop owners. But being a gentleman their act had enraged me to the hilt when I saw this from a distance. I had formed an opinion that this was an unpardonable offence of these men.

But men were right

But the moment I reached closer to them and spoke to them. To your surprise, I felt sympathy for these men and you will come to know the reason as you read it.

As I reached, I saw the dupatta of the lady still lying there. I asked one of them, “What happened why you guys are chasing her.” In a very upset tone he (one of the shop owners) first hurled some abuses and then said “She had stolen over 20 shirts from our shops.” Just to check the veracity of his statement, I asked him “so could you get back your shirts or she fled away with them”. In the mean time a person wearing drivers dress said “sir vo sab shirt to hamare gaadi ke paas gir gaya tha jab vo bhaagte bhagte achanak gaadi ke paas aagyi thi, aur main brake lagaya (Sir, all the shirts which she had stuffed inside her body fell near my vehicle while she was trying to flee)” I saw the bag full of shirts he was holding. This guy was a driver of some call centre and had come here to pick staff.

The lady was strategically carrying the baby in her lap so that her belly will not be easily seen where she was hiding the stolen shirts. The shop owner said “my staff had gone chasing her I hope he will nab her. We had also informed the police.” I replied “Ya don’t beat her but you should definitely hand her to the cops.” I was a bit scared for those guys who went chasing, because such people always come in a gang. Other gang members might be following so going far alone or two people will not be wise.

In the meantime, I saw the two men returning. I was the first to ask. What happened? They said “I had caught hold of her but she pleaded and the people around said leave her she is a woman so I had to let her go.” I was again struck under shock. Why leave just because she was a woman.

Cops come, fear loom

We all started returning. I went with the shop owner to his shop. In next five minutes the PCR came. The moment the cops’ vehicle stopped, these shopkeepers were in a sense of awe as if they were the thieves. One of them murmured “now they have come, they will create unnecessary scene and ask for money.” I retorted him saying “why will you give any money to the cops.” He replied “sir you won’t understand.”

They went to the cop. I also followed. We three were standing near the doors of the PCR Van. One of the cops started in a very heavy tone as if they were some culprit. “Hanji ke hoya kisne complaint kariyi thi (who had filed the complaint)” the shop owner said “Sir it was me.” The cop in a very dominating tone asked “where are the thieves?” He said “We could not nab them” the cop said. “Do you think we are useless, we will come whenever you call and you let the thieves go?” The tone and manner of the cop had already scared the shop owner enough.

Looking at the successful work done by his colleague the other cop in his 50s called the guy to his side of the vehicle. In a dramatically friendly tone starts talking to him. Me and one of the shopkeepers were standing there and observing. In the mean the first cop asked the shopkeeper standing with me “why are you standing here. You go” But I don’t know why he did not say anything to me. I kept standing there and staring at them. I saw the second cop suddenly got down from the van put his hand around the shoulder of the shop owner as if they were the chuddy-buddy and took him inside the shop.

Cop enters the shop

Both of them entered the shop which was in the basement. I was still standing at the same place. I could barely control myself from entering into the discussion. I kept observing. Both the cop and shop owner started talking for sometime. In the mean time the shop owner goes inside and fetched few hundred rupees (around 4 to 5 notes of Rs 100). He cam out and in quite open offered the money to him. At first the cop declined accepting it “you had already suffered the loss, I don’t need it.” But the shop owner continued fawning “NO sir it’s alright, please take it’s just for sweets”. Finally the cop accepted the money and “from now you don’t call on 100, rather take my mobile number call me directly”. I continued staring at them the cop saw me staring at him with a grim face. After seeing this, I felt like slapping the shop owner. Somehow I controlled myself but this old and experienced cop could read my face while coming out of the house shook hand with me just to assuage me. I did not say anything, he smiled and got into the vehicle and left.

I felt hurt due to this shop owner. I was waiting to support him but first he should be ready. But he had already decided to give up. I find the shop owner a bigger culprit than the cop…Who is the real culprit here

8 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot Jen. Hey i have reading your posts they are going so well and continuous, i wish i could also write so often. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gud Nabeel Bhai !!!! It was very different experience of urs I never heard this type of thing, I appreciate the way you wrote it, very well written !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot for reading it Akram bhai...

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an experience. i cant imagine myself seeing that scene. songs for tap

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shopkeeper and you, the mute spectator to the scene are the real culprits. This is just what I think. You know, when we don't show our courage against something which we feel bad, we become a party to it. So, we should be more alert and take timely actions. Do you agree with me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you, I am also one of the culprits. Though, I wanted to show courage but my sensibility stopped me because of the lack of wish and desire form the shopkeepers to protest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have some interesting thoughts! Perhaps we should contemplate about attempting this myself.

    security equipment

    ReplyDelete